Monthly Travel Summary, Stats and Budget – June ’14

Monthly Travel Summary, Stats and Budget – June ’14

Well June was a rather odd month – and there were some BIG changes that I’m still processing and haven’t really announced. I was busy living the dream in the Algarve with all my surf buddies where I celebrated my birthday in true backpacker fashion – on a beach, with plenty of mojitos and friendly faces and surf!

Then at the end of the month a rather big opportunity presented itself and I suddenly found myself on a flight back to the UK for the remainder of the month.

I’m busy typing up the post for next week but there’s some rather crazy changes of plan happening right now…

Anyway here’s my stats round up for June 2014;

backpacker surf travel portugal algarve sabres

Portugal…And Back?!

Overland Distance; 1027.10km (alot of this was actually my daily commute to the beach and back!)

Flight Distance; 1659.9km

Total Distance; 2687km

Countries; Portugal, UK

Main Spots; Sagres, Lagos, Devon

Transport Taken; car, surfboard, mini bus, bus

Flights – FAR-BRS (Easyjet)

Money Breakdown

Portugal – £217.05 over 19 days = £11.40 per day

UK – £228 over 10 days = £22.80 per day

Total spent – £445.05 over 30 days = £14.83 per day

surf instructor travel job portugal backpacker

Hard at Work!

Cheapest Place – Sagres. Working as a surf coach included free accommodation and food so I barely spent anything outside of nights out!

Most Expensive Place – Despite being back at the parents place it still works out more expensive back in the UK than the surf coach gig!

Biggest Splurge/Unforeseen Expense – Without a doubt my last minute taxi fare to Faro airport! I did have a transfer booked but 2 hours before pickup they told me there was no longer room for my surfboard – despite it being booked for a week! Not happy and it cost me £60 in taxi fare…which was not cool. Avoid A2BTransfers.com!

Highlight – Kicking back with my Portugal surf crew family and partying hard for my birthday with my travel buddy Audrey. In fact the whole of Portugal was epic – surf, sun, great surrogate backpacker family and good times all round!

Also the launch of my new site – Epic Gap Year – which has been over a year in the making. You can read more about that here.

Lowlight – Probably realising that I’m in an office for a while now…but I’m going to explain more about that next week!

Top Shot

For me this is my top shot of the month – it totally sums up my commute to work in the Algarve across the beautiful national park to the beach for surf coaching. Tunes on the radio – stoked surf students in the back and the crazy uke playing monkey bobbing along on the dash board…!

surf trip portugal algarve

Surf Trippin’

What’s Next?

Well July has kicked off to an amazing start with a weekend away in Iceland and hopefully I’ll have some more travel plans in the works too. But for now I’m dealing with the 9-5 grind for a bit.

Long story I know….but I shall reveal all next week hopefully!

travel weekend break backpacking iceland
← Previous
A Weekend Break To Iceland?!
iceland pony trek icelandic horse day trip eldhestar (1 of 5)
Next →
Exploring Iceland On Horse Back With Eldhestar