Photo Roulette Round 23 – “Inspiration”
This weeks Photo of the Week is being replaced by something slightly different – Round 23 of Photo Roulette.
Incase you’re unaware Photo Roulette is an ongoing competition started by Living the Dream – where to blogger host choices a topic and people submit entries. The winner then hosts the next round, picks a topic and ultimately a winner…and so on an so forth, all followed on twitter using the hashtag #PhotoRoulette
Here’s the list of previous hosts and topics;
- 1. Nov 4–10, 2010 Living the Dream – “Animals”
- Nov 17–24, 2010 Skinny Backpacker – “Road Signs”
- Nov 29–Dec 6, 2010 Dream a Little Dream – “Street Art”
- Dec 8–15, 2010 Flashpacker HQ – “Festival”
- Dec 17–24, 2010 Over Yonderlust – “Landmarks”
- Dec 26–Jan 2, 2011 Don’t Ever Look Back – “Beaches”
- Jan 5–12, 2011 ThePlanetD – “Portraits”
- Jan 15–22, 2011 Travel with a Mate – “Motion”
- Jan 26–Feb 3, 2011 Johnny Vagabond – “Water”
- Feb 8–15, 2011 Ken Kaminesky – “Urban”
- Feb 21–27, 2011 Travels of Adam – “Friday Night”
- Mar 7–13, 2011 Itchy Feet Chronicles – “The Journey”
- Mar 19– 25, 2011 Brendan’s Adventures – “Changing Seasons”
- Apr 4–10, 2011 Shutterfeet – “Storytelling”
- Apr 13–21, 2011 10timesOne – “Piousness”
- Apr 26–May 4, 2011 Beached Eskimo – “Learning”
- May 21–27, 2011 Travel Junkies – “Architecture”
- Jun 1–7, 2011 Destination World – “Transportation”
- Jun 8–15, 2011 Living the Dream – “Paradise”
- Jun 21-28, 2011 Vagabond Quest – “Clothes”
- Jul 4-11, 2011 The Unframed World – “Symmetry”
- Jul 16-25, 2011 Beached Eskimo – “Home”
It’s been something I’ve been following and entering for a while now so I was stoked to win round 22 “Home” hosted by Beached Eskimo with a shot from my evening walk around the Devonshire countryside.
So this week I get to run the show and pick the subject! I was going to go with the obvious ‘Surf’ theme but it’s quite a niche photography subject and I didn’t want to limit the entries that much. So then I thought how about simply ‘water’ or ‘oceans’ – nah too cliche. It got me thinking about my travels and my photography on the road. It also got me delving into my photo archives. Trawling through my pics from around the world really got me excited about traveling again and then it hit me
This week I want you to pick the photo that most inspires you to get back out and explore the world, the photo that your friends and family are always jealous of and that bring back all the memories of your adventures. You know the ones – the beachy ones, the party ones, the unusual ones…anything and everything that makes you and the viewer go “I want to be there so bad”. Something like this little treat from a fishing trip on the Great Barrier Reef. Warm, crystal clear waters and a glorious day – a little slice of paradise.
- One submission per Blog (so sites that have 2+ authors only get one entry).
- There has been much debate in the previous rounds as to “photoshopping.” As each round host can choose the level of edits they will allow, I will say that I want all submissions to look natural, and interpret that as you see fit. Remember – if it doesn’t look natural (i.e. what the eye may see) I won’t pick it.
- Abstract submissions welcomed as long as it fits within the interpretation of the chosen phrase. Remember,I choose the winner, so if I cannot understand the submission, you might not win!
- Keep phrases general so that all bloggers can participate. Specific items like “Eiffel Tower” should be avoided but rather made open-ended like “monuments.” For variety, it is ok to say focused things such as “monuments at night” in which most of us have pictures of.
- Abstract thoughts are appreciated, but keep it within the realm that all readers will understand. No “Kafka-esque”, but “Overlooking Creation” is able to be interpreted by all.
- No obscene pictures or phrases allowed. Suggestive phrases and photography can be accepted, but please keep it within reason.
- After a sufficient period of time, phrases can be reused, however new photos must be submitted.
- Keep the ideas and photos fresh!
- Pictures from your entire portfolio are fair to submit. You do not have to take the photo within the week of the contest period to submit it.
- Most importantly, ALL PHOTOS MUST BE YOUR OWN.
- You need you to have a blog to be declared a winner so you can host next weeks contest.
Submission deadline: 7 August 2011 (GMT, London Time)
Winner announced: 8 August 2011
To enter in the Photo Roulette competition simply leave a comment below with a link to the image (whether Flickr, Picasa or your own site) and I’ll upload it to this post.Chuck in some info on why you picked it, where it’s from and that kind of thing too.
Check back here through the week to see all the entries as they come in – feel free to comment on them. I will post them as quickly as I can.
A little note: Medium size pictures is preferred (around 600 px). Large pictures might slow down downloading time for everybody.
Share the Love
And remember to share this post to all your mates and keep checking back to see the entries! I’ll be announcing the winner on my twitter account next Monday and also on this blog, and don’t forget to look out for the PhotoRoulette hashtag. So let’s inspire each other and share some travel photo goodness…
…let the competition commence!
Mike from 1000 Flights
|Our picture might not mean much to all…but we took a safari in Kruger National Park in South Africa. The first two days we only saw a passing glimpse of a Lion. It was in the tall grass and didn’t get the best view. On our last day, we drove around a bend and our friend pictured was there with his family. It was so inspirational! Such a powerful and beautiful animal.|
Nick from Locationless.com
|My friend Lauren (the subject of this shot) has a genuine joy for travel and adventure… this photo captures that beautifully.I captured this photo while on a west coast road trip in June, as we ventured across the Golden Gate bridge.|
|St. Emillion is a town just outside of Bordeaux in France … We were visiting the wineries there in May and stumbled across this view from the centre of town …|
|My submission is “A polar bear at Toronto Zoo. While I’m living in Canada, one of the things I really want to do is go to Hudson Bay and see some polar bears in the wild. This photo will keep me inspired until I can get there myself”|
|Only one comes to mind! This photo was taken when I reached Machu Picchu. It was such a peaceful moment – lying there on the terrace, on top of one of the wonders of the world.|
|Here is my submission for the week.. the picture I took during Carnival in Brazil.. def brings back some great memories|
|“My inspiration for travel is checking things off my bucket list; like this photo of me at King Tut’s tomb in the Valley of the Kings!”|
|I took this picture while being at a health retreat in Nicaragua. I often think back and remember the yoga sessions in the morning and the adventurous and sportive afternoons. Here I was stand up paddling about 20 km north of San Juan Del Sur|
|“There’s no sensation to compare with this
Suspended animation – a state of bliss
Can’t keep my mind from the circling sky
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earth-bound misfit, I” Learning to Fly, Pink FloydTaken in 2006 in the German Alps.