2014 travel goals

5 Of My Travel Goals For 2014 (And How I Got On With 2013s!)

Well with 2014 already underway, having landed in Ecuador and celebrated 2 years of continuous travel there’s a lot of talk about new years resolutions.

To be honest I’ve never really been a fan of them – with my lack of commitment and short attention span – however I have got into the habit of creating travels goals instead.

2013

Last year I put forward the following travel goals;

2013 travel goals bucket list backpacker
My Goals For 2013…

Now I actually didn’t do too badly.

I managed to hit up 11 countries – 4 of which were new – I took a heap more photos than the previous year and spent a large majority of the year surfing!  I ended up exploring more of Asia when I bounced around Indonesia and then made my way overland from Singapore to Bangkok and even FINALLY made it to New Zealand…only 18 months later than originally planned!

Bucket list wise I got around to learning to free dive, I spent more time in Cambodia, I dived the Similan Islands, got to grips with snowboarding, ate a Fergburger in Queenstown, went white water rafting, experienced a hop on hop off bus trip, took a trip in a helicopter, went glacier hiking, I inspired one of my buddies to book a RTW trip, travelled properly with my brother, surfed the legendary left of Raglan, got another bamboo tattoo and heaps of other amazing experience…so I easily ticked off the 12 I set myself!

In fact the only travel goal I fell short of was learning a new language…I’m still completely unmotivated and useless on the aspect!

2014

This year thought I’ve changed my mindset slightly so I thought I’d explain my 2014 goals in a bit more detail…

2014 travel goals
Bring on 2014!

1) Visit the Philipines – The Philippines have been on my bucket list for aggggges now, yet I’ve still not got around to visiting them despite prolonged periods of travel in South East Asia. I nearly got there at the end of 2013 but unfortunately the massive Typhoon that battered it scrapped my plans. This year it’s my top place to explore.

2) Keep up my free dive training – having discovered free diving in 2013 I was instantly hooked. Sicne then I’ve bought all the kit I need, I’ve successfully completed my SSI Level 2 Freediver and I’m stoked to explore more of the underwater world. But to advance I need to keep up my training regime, so fingers crossed I can fully commit!

3) Slow down – now this may seem like an odd addition to the list, but it’s much needed. In 2013 I covered 11 countries and racked up tens of thousands of kilometres in air and land travel. I’ll admit straight up that some parts were outright exhausting and I decided that bouncing heaps isn’t sustainable or the best for my mindset. This year I want to slow the pace down, really get under the skin of the places I visit and take the time to properly appreciate life on the road.

4) Beat my budgets – after tallying up all my costs for a year of backpacker travel I’ve decided that proper attention to my budget is needed in 2014. Although I managed to sneak under my £25 a day target (slightly higher if you include flights) I know I could’ve save seven more cash. This year I want to concentrate on becoming financially stable and also reduce how much I spend on flights – which topped £3k last year!

5) SURF! Although I surfed a lot in 2013 I still want more! It’s the one thing that keeps me in shape and I constantly crave on the road. Freediving and scuba diving are ok – but for me surfing is where my true calling lies. 2014 is going to be very much wave focused! It’s my adventure after all!

How did you guys get on with your travel goals of 2013? What have you set yourself for this year?

Leave a reply

16 comments